Egg freezing, or human oocyte cryopreservation, is a modern reproduction technique to extend the fertility of women. It includes a stepped process that includes extracting a woman’s eggs, or her oocytes, freezing them, and storing them. In the future, when the woman is ready to conceive and become pregnant, her eggs can be thawed, fertilized with sperm, and transferred as embryos into the woman’s uterus.
Freezing of eggs can be beneficial for women desiring to preserve their fertility for a number of reasons, including.
- Women diagnosed with cancer who will be receiving certain types of treatment. Prior to getting radiation, chemotherapy, and in some cases, surgery, egg freezing offers an opportunity to preserve a woman’s eggs before the treatment destroys the eggs and renders her infertile.
- Women who desire to delay childbirth due to educational or career goals. In order to increase the likelihood of getting pregnant at a later age, freezing ages at an early point in a woman’s reproductive cycle is often sought by women. While a woman’s eggs can deteriorate in quality as she ages, her uterus is typically able to carry a pregnancy well into her 40’s and even in her 50’s. In this way, egg freezing is a way to extend a woman’s biological clock.
- Women with a genetic history of early menopause, endometriosis, or premature ovarian failure. For women whose mother, sister, or grandmother encountered menopause early, freezing eggs offers a chance to preserve some eggs before an early menopause.
- Women who currently lack a male partner. Some women who are currently not in a relationship opt to freeze their eggs so they can conceive a child later in life when they do have a partner.
- Women who are concerned about egg quality as they age. It is a fact that egg quality declines as a woman ages. While female fertility generally peaks in a woman’s early 20’s, her egg quality begins to decline after that, and becomes even more pronounced beginning around the age of 35.
While egg freezing is not for everyone, it is a viable option for some women as it allows them to better control their fertility options. To learn more about egg freezing and to find out if you are a candidate, contact the Fertility Clinics in New York City.