Fertility Preservation (Egg Freezing)
Today, women can take control of their fertility by preserving their eggs for future use. We offer this treatment using the most advanced technologies available, all within our small, personalized, boutique center.
Women who want to freeze their eggs take daily injections for 8-10 days and are monitored in our center every 2-3 days. When the eggs are ready, a procedure is performed in our office (“egg retrieval”) to collect the eggs and prepare them for freezing. Using the most advanced vitrification technique, the eggs are “flash frozen”, and stored in our center for future use. Patients may return to our office to use their eggs if, when, and how they choose to.
Egg Freezing Process:
- Hormone Injections (8-10 days): Our nurses give you 1 on 1 instruction on how to administer these medcations. Most women tolerate these shots very well, the main side effects being bloating and discomfort similar to a heavy period.
- Monitoring: While taking hormone injections, our doctors monitor the growth of the eggs with ultrasounds and blood tests every 2-3 days. Typically, patients need 3-4 monitoring visits, each lasting about 10 minutes.
- Egg Retrieval: When the eggs are ready to be frozen, our doctors perform the egg retrieval procedure. Under light sedation, the eggs are removed vaginally, without the need for incisions or stiches. The procedure lasts about 10 minutes and patient’s go home in about an hour, resuming . regular activities the next day.
- Egg Freezing: After retrieval, the eggs are evaluated in our laboratory and frozen within 2 hours of the procedure. Eggs are stored in liquid nitrogen tanks, and can be stored, transported, or thawed at any time.
Who Should Freeze Their Eggs?
- Women who wants to preserve their eggs at their highest quality
- Women who are single or married, with a partner or without a partner
- Women who will be receiving radiation and/or chemotherapy for cancer treatment
- Women who need to have their ovaries removed for any reason
- Women with a genetic history of early menopause, endometriosis, or premature ovarian failure
Egg Freezing with In Vitro Maturation (IVM)
We are the only fertility center in the United States to use our unique IVM technologies as part of egg freezing treatments. This unique technology gives our patients the opportunity to preserve their fertility using little medications with less monitoring in a shorter time. Instead of stimulating patients with a high dose of hormonal medications for 8-10 days, patients are given 2-3 days of a low dose of medications and the eggs are retrieved shortly after. Immature eggs are retrieved and and the “maturation” process occurs within the laboratory, not inside the body. Eggs that achieve maturity are then frozen in a similar manner as traditional eggs freezing cycles.
Benefits of Egg Freezing with IVM:
- Less invasive and less side effects from medications
- Eliminates the risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome
- Shorter treatment cycle (typically 5-6 days instead of 10-12 days)
- Less visits to the clinic (2-3 vs 5-6 total visits)
Who Should Consider Egg Freezing with IVM?
- Women who want to freeze eggs but do not want to take large amounts of hormones
- Women who are diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Women with high risks for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS)
- Women who are diagnosed with hormone-sensitive cancer, such as breast cancer